Halee Reads Classical Literature: Pride and Prejudice

Hey guys! So, after a super long hiatus, I'm back! School plus musical rehearsal plus general life craziness had forced me to take a much needed break from blogging. But with the new year arriving (and a brand new laptop I got for Christmas), I've decided to take up blogging again.

In addition to getting back to blogging, I've also been on a bit of classical literature kick...
Lizzie and Darcy from "Lizzie Bennet Diaries"
Recently, I finished Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. I'd been working on this book since May (don't hurt me), but Christmas break has given me the chance to finally finish it. Earlier in the year, I'd gotten into the "Lizzie Bennet Diaries" (produced by Hank Green and Bernie Su), and really fell in love with it. So, why not give the original source material a shot.

The one thing that struck me (and what strikes anyone when reading classical British literature) was the language. While at times it was really hard to get through, it was totally worth it. Pride and Prejudice tells a story so much more beautiful than I could ever imagine. The tale of the prideful Mr. Darcy and prejudicial Miss Bennet and the enormous cast of characters in this novel, makes it the best "classical" novel I have ever read. Jane Austen is a masterful storyteller, who knows exactly what she's doing.

I think I'm in the majority when I say that Pride and Prejudice has become one of my favorite books of all time. While some characters could be considered two-dimensional (Kitty and Lydia mainly), Lizzie, Darcy, and Jane feel so fleshed out to me. Those characters are what really make the book come alive for me.


P&P has really set the standard for more of Jane Austen's novels. From the same creators of the "Lizzie Bennet Diaries" comes "Emma Approved", a modern interpretation of Emma by Jane Austen. I'm thinking that I'll probably pick that book up next.


Labels: , , , ,