Review: Allegiant by Veronica Roth

17383918Title: Alleigant (Divergent #3)
Author: Veronica Roth
Genre: Dystopia
Pages: US Hardcover, 526
Publication: October 22, 2013

Synopsis:
The faction-based society that Tris Prior once believed in is shattered—fractured by violence and power struggles and scarred by loss and betrayal. So when offered a chance to explore the world past the limits she’s known, Tris is ready. Perhaps beyond the fence, she and Tobias will find a simple new life together, free from complicated lies, tangled loyalties, and painful memories. 

But Tris’s new reality is even more alarming than the one she left behind. Old discoveries are quickly rendered meaningless. Explosive new truths change the hearts of those she loves. And once again, Tris must battle to comprehend the complexities of human nature—and of herself—while facing impossible choices about courage, allegiance, sacrifice, and love. 

Told from a riveting dual perspective, Allegiant, by #1 New York Times best-selling author Veronica Roth, brings the Divergent series to a powerful conclusion while revealing the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers in Divergent and Insurgent.



When I first bought this book in October, I was SO excited to read it. It was literally the only book I had been thinking about for months. I think that excitement is what let me down while reading this book. I let my excitement to see what happened next in this series overcloud the reality of the book. So, I'm just going to put this out there. The book REALLY disappointed me. It was so boring and uneventful that I had to put this book down for five months. Allegiant forced me into a five month reading slump. It was bad.

I feel like the first half of the book was falling action of the cliffhanger that ended Insurgent. It held no excitement for me. It wasn't until Tobias, Tris, and the group were outside the fence and in the compound that things finally started to pick up. But even then, I felt like, as a reader, I was being force fed fact after fact after fact without any emotion or action to back it up. In addition to that, I feel like all the information that we learn while reading the book about the Chicago experiment was shoved too quickly at us. If this information was spread about between Insurgent and Allegiant, it would have been much better.

Usually I like multiple perspectives. Take Legend by Marie Lu for example. It gives such a good dual perspective of a story without the voice seeming monotonous. However, in Allegiant, Tobias and Tris' voice read the exact same to me. At some points, I couldn't even tell who's chapter it was. It was a good idea, but odd seeing that the dual perspective was only included in the last book.

What really made this book readable for me was the last 200 or so pages. All the action that had been missing from the rest of the book FINALLY happens. (Sometimes, I think, it happened too fast.) But it was FABULOUS. While I didn't exactly like how the situation in Allegiant was solved, I loved the way it was executed. Everything made sense in the end.

It was really depressing to finish this series. The main reason for that was that the ending hurt like a bitch. It was completely opposite of what I thought was going to happen. It was a surprise to say the least. A really depressing surprise. But I'm really going to miss this series. While Allegiant wasn't as good as I hoped it would be, it was still a fitting ending to a fantastic series.


Amazon - BN - Goodreads

Labels: , ,