Top Ten Tuesday: Diversity


Ten Books That Celebrate Diversity/Diverse Characters (example: features minority/religious minority, socioeconomic diversity, disabled MC,  neurotypical character, LGBTQ etc etc.)
 

  1. The Madonnas of Echo Parkby Brando Skyhorse
  2. Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell
  3. The Perks of Being a Wallflower
  4. The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan
  5. City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
I can only think of FIVE books that fit this criteria. Not only does this poorly reflect on me, but it also shows why we so desperately need things like the We Need Diverse Books Campaign. I guess I just read books about white, straight characters. Also, most of the books that I have read that include minority characters, non-straight characters, etc. are all supporting characters.  

So, in order to complete this post without looking like a complete jackass, I’ve added five books that do celebrate diversity that I really want to read:

            1. Two Boys Kissing by David Levithan
            2. The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian by Sherman Alexie
            3. Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
            4. Lies We Tell Ourselves by Robin Talley
            5. I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
I'm very disappointed in myself that I could only think of five books that promote diversity. I'm sure I'm not the only case (if I am, then damn I need to catch up with the times). I hope that as the young adult book world continues to evolve, there will be an increased amount of diversity in books. It's about time that there's more diversity than your typical, white, skinny, beautiful hero or heroine in YA.

For more information about the We Need Diverse Books campaign, visit http://weneeddiversebooks.org

Labels: ,